Friday, July 12, 2013

Fruit Fly Trap That Works

Summer brings a ton of fresh fruit ripe, yummy and available for quick snacks or desserts in my household. Along with that, just like tons of others, it brings science class's best genetics lesson models, the fruit fly. While in science class they were invaluable (and I loved that section), here they are a nuisance. The answer is simple right? A tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar, water and just a drop of dish soap and set the jar out, or cover with plastic wrap. I did the one with the open jar first because I didn't come across the covered part til later. While I caught a few, I seemed to just be adding one more food source to their meal. I was certain that was because I make my own dish soap  it wasn't breaking the surface tension. Off to the store I went and bought a little thing of dish soap. Nope, I felt like an idiot that I couldn't make this "miracle trap" work. So? Try plastic wrap... Yeah, it's summer, so I ended up with a nice science project ON TOP of the science project models. 



I'm just trying to help with this because I'm guessing I am not the only one who hasn't had some of the issues listed above. I found using a coffee filter poked with holes has made my kitchen science model free.  I don't even measure, just pour enough apple cider vinegar to cover the bottom of my canning jar, filled with water and added a drop of my homemade dish soap. Then I covered my trap with a paper coffee filter, poked with a few holes with a toothpick and YEA!!! I set it out right by the fruit behind my "decorative" infusing vinegars (it sits where you dont even notice it) and showed my husband my brilliant solution to our annoying problem. He was wonderful and gave me that "oh, you are so cute" smile and congratulated me. Ah, whatever, I took it because I had finally beat the beast (ok size of a pin head isn't a beast but this is my blog, I had them EVERYWHERE). 


Maybe I'm the only one with this issue, but if I'm not, I do hope this helps the next poor sap just trying to rid themselves of the oh so strangely cute, but irritating fruit fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment