Monday, November 11, 2013

Apple Pecan Sweet Potato Pork


Ok, so I posted a picture from dinner tonight and had a couple wonderful Facebook readers want the recipe. I honestly am not good writing these when I just cook. I don't use measurements when I cook so I apologize for the fact this isn't more exact. I apologize ahead of time. 

Tonight I needed to use some apples that were going to go bad soon and two sweet potatoes that needed to be eaten also. So what goes good with apples and sweet potatoes? The pork chops and ribs I had in my freezer. With all that I needed a little something to add some crunch and pecans won that part in all this. 

So with all that, here is the recipe, I have 7 people to feed so I will keep this vague and you can use the amounts you think will work for your family. 

Pork chops or ribs (beef would also work)
Apples
Sweet potatoes 
Pecans, chopped
Butter
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Brown sugar (optional, I didn't use it but could be added for taste as you layer ingredients. I would sprinkle a thin layer as you add the apples)
Heavy whipping cream 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Pan sear the pork with some butter to brown the outside on all sides. Peel and core the apples, thinly slice either with an apple corer/peeler or by hand. Thinly slice sweet potatoes to the same thickness as the apple slices. 

Place a layer of the pan seared pork in a baking dish, sprinkle pumpkin pie spice, pecans and nutmeg lightly over the pork. Place a layer of apples and sweet potatoes and sprinkle the same pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and pecans over the top. I like a little more spice to mine so I went a little heavier over the apples and potatoes to give it more of a baked apple taste. If you need to add more pork, like I did, just make another layer as you did the bottom layer. Cover with aluminum foil or a cover of your choice and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake until pork is cooked thoroughly and apples/potatoes are fully baked. 

While the pork is baking, brown some butter in a sauce pan, add a little pumpkin pie spice and using a whisk in heavy whipping cream slowly until creamy, I add enough to just thicken and add creaminess to the butter. 

Let meat rest 15-20 minutes before serving after removing from the oven. Drizzle butter sauce over pork, apples and sweet potatoes, serve. 

Sorry, warned you all this is vague. I hope you have fun making or at least trying this and maybe changing it up in a new vision that comes from my idea. Know that you could do this also with beef, a beef roast or steaks. :)

A special THANK YOU to Cheryl and Cristal and I hope you enjoy this recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment