Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer's Best Potato Salad

Nothing says summer picnic like a big batch of potato salad! I just made the batch below, too bad you can't taste the goodness, but don't worry I have the recipe below. 


I first had my Mother-in-law's potato salad when we got together with family for dinner. OH IT WAS DELICIOUS. I only changed a few things but it was the first potato salad I ever made. Today I made it for a picnic we are having for my hubby and his coworkers since they have to work on the 4th of July. This is too good of a recipe not to share though so here it is... This makes a big batch and being I don't measure feel free to put things in to taste, best way to cook I think. This is based on what I know and what is a good estimate of the ingredients I put into each batch. 

Potato Salad

1 -   5 lb bag Yukon Gold potatoes
1     pint (about 2 cups) Homemade Mayonnaise (there are a ton of recipes out there for a mayo that fits your liking.)  Obviously you can used store bought also, I won't tell!!
2     cucumbers sliced into bite size pieces
3-4 sprigs Fresh dill (I usually add more), this one I add a lot but depending on your liking 3-4 may be enough
10   hard boiled eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4  Tablespoons prepared mustard to taste, Again, I usually add a bit more to get it to where I like the taste

Optional
Crunchy baby dill pickles (YUMMY), cut small
Chopped celery
Onion

Cut the unpeeled potatoes into bite sized cubes and boil them in salted water (helps so you don't have to add more salt later, the potatoes hold salt well). Cut cucumbers if you haven't already, chop dill into small pieces, and dice the hard boiled eggs into small bite sized pieces. 

Drain potatoes and put into a large mixing bowl along with the eggs, cucumbers and dill. Fold ingredients together until the dill coats all the ingredients. Next add the mayonnaise and fold until everything is covered. Add mustard and salt and pepper to taste. 

Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour at least before serving. I generally make this a day ahead of time to make sure the dill and mustard favors infuse into the batch well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment