Sunday, June 30, 2013

Double Batch Oatmeal Pancakes


My family LOVES pancakes and especially these. I do a variety but these are my staple "go-to" pancakes. I sometimes soak the oats overnight or just wait anywhere from 15 minutes to a half hour while they soften. Obviously the only difference is in the texture when I don't soak them as long. 

I make a double batch and if I am really lucky I will have enough left over to either freeze for a fun breakfast treat (my kiddos usually cut it close in the mornings before school) or just put in the fridge to use the next morning or for school lunches. These make great "sandwiches" for packed lunches, I just put either cream cheese or some other filling (fresh ground peanut butter) in the middle of 2 of them and the kiddos love them. 

These photos were taken at Halloween time so you can see I did "jack o lantern" pancakes. 

Double Batch Oatmeal Pancakes (I make this then either freeze or refrigerate the rest for future breakfasts or cut out into shapes and make sandwiches w cream cheese or peanut butter for lunch!!) ;)

* 5 c. buttermilk (or use plain kefir milk for extra nutrients)
* 1 1/2 c. rolled oats

* 3 c. King Arthur Whole Wheat flour
* 1/2 c. wheat germ
* 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
* 4 t. baking pwd.
* 2 t. baking soda
* 1 t. salt
* 2 t. cinnamon (I add a little more)
* 1 t. nutmeg (add a lil more of this too, and sometimes fresh grate it)
* 2 lg eggs
* 4 lg egg whts
* 4 T. coconut oil, divided

(I also sometimes add ground flax seed meal, apples, fresh bananas, strawberries, blueberries or other fun stuff for fun)

Combine buttermilk & rolled oats in a sm. bowl. Let stand 20-30 min. or overnight for soft oats.
Stir flours, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking pwd., baking soda, cinnamon/nutmeg & salt in medium bowl. Mix eggs & 2 T oil in another bowl w/ a whisk. Add the oat mixture and egg mixture and stir w a wooden spoon until just combined.

Halloween lunch the next day as a treat... 

No comments:

Post a Comment